Fungal nail infections mainly appear on your toenails and they develop when the feet are warm and persistently wet. These infections are very common, quite unpleasant, and can take a long time to respond to treatment.
Although toenail fungal infections are not as serious as other infections, leaving them untreated can lead to more serious health complications:
- Difficulties when walking – when wearing closed shoes, the pressure on the affected toenail will cause pain and alter your walking. Depending on the level in which your toenail is affected by the fungal infection, wearing shoes that press on it, can lead to the fall of the toenail.
- The fungus can spread – to the area around the affected nail and to the other toenails. This is especially risky for people that already have a weakened immune system as the infection might spread in other areas of the body.
- Athlete’s foot – there is a higher risk of developing this disease because the fungus will accelerate the skin’s deterioration. The athlete’s foot leaves your skin sore, is painful and can alter your lifestyle.
- Health risk for diabetics – toenail fungal infections lead to an increased risk of amputation. Developing sores that don’t heal on a diabetic’s foot, can trigger serious health consequences.
- Developing cellulitis – the fungal infection can spread easily in the body especially in those with a weak immune system. Cellulitis is an infection that in severe cases can enter the bloodstream and end a person’s life.
- Toenail loss – the toenail will fall. In some cases a healthy new toenail might not grow anymore.
- Surgery – to remove an infected area
Is toenail fungus a sign of poor health?
Toenail fungus infection can show potential poor health as it is linked to low immunity. A poor diet can destroy the natural flora in your gut leaving your body prone to infections.
Evidently, a poor cleaning and care routine of the feet is the main factor that influences the apparition of this type of infection.
Toenail fungus treatment
To treat toenail fungus infections, a doctor or a pharmacist may recommend the use of:
- An antifungal nail cream – that will not always work and can take up to 12 months to treat your toenail
- A cream that softness the nail in preparation to scrape off the infection
- Prescribed medication – not suitable for all patients
- Laser treatment – to eliminate the infection
There is a close link between diet and healthy skin and nails. The fungal infections can be prevented and treated with the extra aid from probiotics found in health supplements. Your pharmacist might discuss this with you.
A natural toenail fungus treatment that works within your body to prevent and eliminate fungal infections is Restoration by Viva Nutra.
This supplement is specially formulated to fight off the fungal infection from the inside out with a probiotic blend that supports the microflora in your gut.
Restoration contains 4 strains of probiotics that shield your body from the fungus :
- Lactobacillus Acidophilus – found in the natural flora in the gut
- Bifidobacterium Lactis – helps the absorption of vitamins and minerals into the body
- Lactobacillus Plantarum – stimulates the digestive system and fights against harmful bacteria in the human body
- Lactobacillus Paracasei – stops the growth and the spread of bacterias like fungi and boosts the immune system
This supplement is manufactured in a GMP Certified Laboratory that strictly follows the FDA’s guidance to deliver a safe product to the consumers.
Viva Nutra is an established business from Orange County that places at the heart of its products the desire to bring health-enhancing quality results through the use of natural ingredients in all of their products.
Improving your diet to avoid toenail fungal infections
Treat your toenail fungus infection accordingly and follow the care routine to avoid further infections.
Change your diet to increase your immunity. It’s best to cleanse your body by using a supplement like the Restoration, followed by :
- Lowering the amount of ingested sugar – swap sugary drinks with water, replace sweets with low-sugar varieties, check the food labels for the sugar intake contained.
- Eat less food with yeast – bread and bakery products, cider and beer
- Avoid refined meat – salami, processed ham
- Add herbs and spices to your food – to avoid using shop-bought sauces that contain sugar
- Ear gluten-free grains – quinoa, bran, buckwheat
- Eat green leafy vegetables – high in fibers and no sugar
- Ditch the alcohol – it contains sugar
- Add natural supplements to your diet to help maintain your health and wellbeing. Follow the instructions on the label and discuss with a healthcare professional the advantages and disadvantages of your chosen herbal supplement.
- Add probiotics – consume natural yogurts, kefir without any added sugar
Natural anti-fungal supplements
In pharmacies and health shops there are products that bring a little extra to your body in order to fight against detrimental factors.Some supplements contain plant-based ingredients known to destroy fungi and could be used along with a good cleaning routine:
- Tea tree
- Activated charcoal
- Calendula extract
- Caprylic acid
- Olive leaf extract
How to self-care toenail fungal infection
After your doctor or pharmacist diagnosed your fungal infection, follow their advice in terms of treatment. Change your diet accordingly and care for your feet and toenails by:
- Cleaning your feet regularly with soap and warm water
- Keeping your feet dry – towel after each cleaning
- Changing your socks and shoes when they are wet
- Using clean socks every day
- Paying attention to your feet when visiting swimming pools, communal showers, and changing areas in the gym – use flip-flops or pool slides.
- Using shoes that are comfortable and get rid of the old ones when they are putting pressure on your nails and toes.
- Don’t share your towel with others
- Avoid wearing other people’s shoes
- Have your own scissors and nail clippers and don’t share them
- Use only nail salons that are accredited
- Don’t wear the same shoes every day
When in doubt, remember to always check a healthcare specialist’s opinion. Your health is the most important asset and keeping in check even the smallest symptom or worry can save you from long term diseases.