Clogged pores are something that each and every one of us complains about at one moment in time. Our body has pores everywhere. Still, facial skin is the area that we are most worried about.
We all spent time in the mirror searching for blackheads and trying all kinds of products and methods to get rid of them. All this in the name of beauty.
What causes clogged pores?
Pores can become clogged due to the build-up of dead skin cells that remained trapped in these tiny skin openings.
An excess production of sebum caused by a poor cleansing routine, unhealthy eating habits, hormonal changes, or the use of some beauty products, influences the accumulation of residue into the facial skin pores.
Overexposure to the sun influences the enlargement of pores making them more susceptible to clogging.
How to get rid of clogged pores
There are a number of ways to keep your pores unclogged depending on what causes them:
- Change your cleansing routine by using exfoliators. These will help to get rid of the dead skin cells before clogging even starts. Use them twice a week.
- Always remove your makeup before bedtime.
- Use a cleansing foam or a gentle soap to wash your face everyday. It is important to do this after physical activities such as exercising, running, swimming, being intimate.
- Look for products containing salicylic acid.
- Avoid prolonged sun exposure. Remember to use sunscreen with appropriate SPF.
- Apply a peeling mask from time to time.
- Change your skincare products and makeup to non comedogenic ones.
- Avoid using heavy oily facial creams or serums
- Use skincare products for your skin type
- Shave your face carefully to avoid opening the skin.
- Avoid touching your face or rubbing it too often
- Clean your makeup brushes and applicators regularly
- Ask your doctor about your medication– some medication can influence your hormonal functions, resulting in excess activity in the sebaceous glands.
- Discuss your issues with a skincare specialist.
- Use products specifically designed to deal with clogged pores.
- Visit a beauty salon in case you seem to fight a lost battle with your pores.
Clogged pores removal methods
Facial scrubs and exfoliators
These products are designed to gently exfoliate the facial skin. It’s important to remember that using these too much may lead to the opposite result as the glands will start secreting more oil due to the dryness of the skin.
Using scrubs and exfoliators on sensitive skin might lead to skin breakage.
Facial scrubs and exfoliators can be:
Coffee grounds are a great natural alternative to cosmetic scrubs.
Pore purifying cleansers
These are toners or lotions that claim to minimise the appearance of pores and unclog the pores.
Some of them contain salicylic acid and will help fight against the build up of residue into the pores.
A skin steamer is used either by a beautician or at home, to open up the pores before applying skin treatments.
At home, you can use the salt water method. Put water in a pan, add salt , then place your face over the steam keeping a safe distance.Cover your head with a towel to keep the steam in .
After your gym or swimming session go to a sauna.
Charcoal face masks
Activated charcoal is said to have a powerful action in lifting the dirt from deep layers of skin.
The mask is used to deep clean the pores once a week.
Pore removal strips
Pore strips stick to the targeted area and when removed they take out the dirt set deep into the pores. However this method is more and more criticised as it seems to remove more than the clogged dirt, this resulting in enlarging the pores and the excess production of sebum.
This is a small metallic tool that can be used to remove blackheads and acne spots. It is a more hygienic method than the removal by squeezing them by hand. However, it takes a while to get the hang of it and may lead to skin scarring.
Electric cleansing devices
These are devices that come with a facial cleansing brush. It’s suitable for deep cleaning. There is a tendency to overuse this method and this can have negative effects on the skin. It’s recommended to be used no more than twice a week.
Pore cleanser vacuum
It’s one of the newest devices on the market right now suitable for deep pore cleansing.
Are a last resort, when nothing seems to be working on your pores. They need to be performed by a skin specialist under clinical supervision.
These treatments can be done with:
- Laser – will decrease the size of the pores and reduce the oil production
- Microneedling – triggers the collagen production to reduce the way the pores appear
One of the best deep pore cleaner methods at home is the use of a pore vacuum cleaner.
Do pore vacuums really work?
To answer this question we researched reviews from other users, browsed the available products on the market and chose to try the Swoskin Pore Cleanser.
The Swoskin Pore Cleanser
Using this vacuum cleaner removes blackheads and deals with the appearance of the pores in a natural way, without the aid of any harsh chemicals. The results are visible in only 2 weeks after starting the treatment.
Having this item in your home is like having a skin care professional treating you in the comfort of your familiar surroundings.
What it does:
- Eliminates impurities with its suction function.There are three different levels of suction power: strong, normal and mild, making it suitable for all skin types.
- Minimises the appearance of pores
- Improves the skin’s aspect – due to the gently massage done during the extraction process
What to expect in the packaging:
- One Pore Vacuum
- 5 Removable Suction Cups
- One USB Charger
- The User Manual
Pore vacuum routine
- After washing your face, place a warm towel on your face or use a steamer to open up the pores.
- Choose the head you want to use with the pore cleanser.
- Then set the Swoskin Pore Cleanser on the lowest suction level (until you decide which suction level is the best for you),then choose the desired area to start cleansing.
- The most important thing now is to use the cleanser correctly by following the user manual’s instructions. Avoid leaving the head on a specific spot as it can cause redness and soreness. Gently press and move the device over the whole area needed to be dealt with.
- Follow this with applying a toner to close the pores.
- Being a pore deep cleansing method, avoid using it everyday.
Why we recommend the Swosking Pore Cleanser
- It comes at an affordable price
- Easy to assemble and use
- Gentle action when used correctly
- Can be cleaned easily
- Storage doesn’t take too much space
- It’s size makes it suitable for travel
- Offers a chemical free way to get rid of clogged pores
- Vegan and cruelty free item
- It has an exfoliating head
If you would like to read more about this pore vacuum cleaner, read other users’ reviews and buy yours, go to swoskin.com.
Remember to discuss with a healthcare specialist whenever you are in doubt or if irritation occurs.