According to scientific research, the answer is simply NO. Deodorants containing aluminum do not affect your health, and there hasn’t been any proven link to cancer or breast cancer as a result of using this type of deodorant. This is also backed by Cancerresearchuk.org, the leading cancer charity supporting scientific research to eliminate this crippling disease.
Let’s see if you should make the switch to natural, aluminum-free deodorant.
Generally, people should not worry about using deodorants and antiperspirants. However, if you suffer from allergies, you might notice some side effects on the aluminum contained in deodorants.
Read the ingredients list on the labels, check reviews from other people in your situation, or choose the best hypoallergenic deodorants after you’ve done your research on specialized websites.
Why is aluminum used in deodorants?
Deodorant manufacturers add aluminum in deodorants to block temporarily the flow of sweat to the surface of your skin. This inhibits the growth of harmful bacteria that is to blame for the unpleasant odor given by sweating.
The aluminum salt contained in deodorants does not penetrate the skin surface. According to scientists from the National Cancer Institute, only when aluminum enters the body, we can discuss its effects on human health. This opinion is supported also by the American Cancer Society.
Side effects of aluminum in deodorant
Some deodorants’ users might notice a number of side effects:
- Allergic reaction to aluminum
- Development of cysts under the arm
- Burning sensation
- Dryness of the skin
- Darker skin patches
As we can see there aren’t many harmful effects of deodorant on humans’ health and wellbeing. However, if you prefer, choose an alternative to the aluminum deodorants that you think will benefit you.
Benefits of aluminum-free deodorant
- It gives you peace of mind in terms of any side effects
- Most formulas are hypoallergenic so they are suitable for sensitive skin
- It keeps a good hormonal balance
- Leaves your underarm pores unclogged
- Most formulas contain natural ingredients
- There is a well-developed market of organic plant-based products
- Skin will be kept hydrated
- These products are mostly vegan friendly
Disadvantages of aluminum-free deodorants
- There is a short period of adapting to these deodorants. This period usually lasts around two weeks, depending on each person. During this period you might notice that you sweat a lot more than before (this is because the underarm pores are unclogged) and there is a bad odor. In time things will settle down.
- Some aluminum-free deodorants and antiperspirants will cost more than the average deodorant.
What brand of deodorant is aluminum-free?
At the beginning of aluminum-free deodorant production there were few companies that manufactured these. Nowadays, the market has expanded and continued to grow giving customers plenty of options to choose from.
Here are 12 brands that offer aluminum-free deodorant and antiperspirant options:
- Dr Haushka
One thing to take note of is that there is no difference in terms of their effects between the men and women formulas. The only variations are the fragrance and packaging.
To buy your chosen products you can visit a beauty and fragrance shop, a pharmacy or a supermarket. If you prefer online shopping you can search for online shops, brand shops, eBay, the Walmart website, or Amazon.
We started this article by looking at this question: Can deodorant make you sick? Hopefully, the information found in this article gave you some peace of mind. If you still wonder about the topic we covered, talk with a healthcare specialist about your worries before deciding what to use in your daily body care routine.