Your big day is nearly there, and you are now thinking about how to look the best in your wedding photos. Your make-up is very important. It needs to offer you full coverage and enhance your best features, looking natural at the same time.
Your foundation needs to be selected carefully, considering that you need something to make your face look fresh and glowing.
It needs to remain in place for as long as possible without retouching. Who wants to re-apply foundation whilst wearing a white dress? A dress that everyone will look at?
Let’s not forget that your wedding photos will be shared between your family, friends, and acquaintances. The same photos will be proudly displayed on your walls, mantelpiece, and social networks. In years to come, you will also show these to your kids. No wonder there is high pressure to find the best foundation for a wedding.
What you need to look for:
Here are some tips on what to look for when selecting your foundation:
- Waterproof – no matter how the weather is, you need to remember that your wedding day is a day that might bring up tears in your eyes (happy tears, of course).
Related to the weather, waterproof coverage is needed to avoid your foundation leaking on a rainy day. It also needs to stay on if it is too hot, as your skin will sweat.
- Hydrating – your skin should not suffer from dryness during this long day. You need to find a formula that keeps your facial skin well moisturized during the day and under intense flash photography sessions.
- Firming – this would accentuate your features, slimming and keeping in place your expression
- Excellent coverage – your foundation should cover all tiny imperfections, any redness that might occur. It is important to choose a formula that offers good coverage so that your photo session shows you in the best light.
- Blend in – another important feature that you need to be aware of. Your foundation should be blending in, giving you a natural look. It shouldn’t look like a mask and over the top.
- Illuminating – choose a formula that gives your complexion a little glow. It’s your special day, now is your time to shine in a good way.
- Lightweight – so that you don’t feel you are covered in heavy cream. Also, it wouldn’t allow sweat to form as rapidly as a heavier formula.
- Long-wear – try to find a long-wear foundation. Some formulas can dry the skin so if you have dry or very dry skin, is essential to check the hydrating action of the product you want to buy. Check our Best foundation for sensitive skin article for more tips on choosing the right product for you.
- SPF – it’s always recommended to use a formula that offers coverage against UVA/UVB, the higher the number, the better protection is offered
How to apply:
There are different methods to apply the foundation to your facial skin. Depending on the formula you’re using, you will need to choose your favorite method. You can use multiple ways if needed. There isn’t a written rule on how to apply foundation. Sometimes what works for a person might not work for you.
Before your wedding day, it is worth having some make–up trials. See what works best for your complexion, use different ways to apply your foundation, and choose the best one to be used on the day.
To apply the foundation, you can use:
- Sponges to blend in
- Your bare fingers
- Cotton pads
We have talked about why you need to choose the best foundation for the wedding, how to choose, and how to apply it. Now let’s have a look at our top picks for you.
Here is the best foundation formula for your wedding day:
- Smashbox Studio Skin 15 Hour Wear Hydrating Foundation
- Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Makeup
- Yves Saint Laurent SPF 19 Le Teint Touche Eclat Illuminating Foundation
- Yves Saint Laurent Fusion Ink Broad Spectrum SPF 18 Foundation
- Clarins Extra-Firming Foundation SPF 15
- Laura Mercier Silk Creme Oil Free Photo Edition Foundation
- MAC Pro Longwear Nourishing Waterproof Foundation
8. Smashbox Studio Skin 15 Hour Wear Hydrating Foundation
- Long-lasting 15 hours coverage
- Suitable for flash photography sessions
- Excellent coverage for skin imperfections
- Keeps skin hydrated
- Skin looks natural
- You don’t need too much product for the application
- 22 shades
- Choosing the right shade by using the numbers is a bit confusing
9. Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Makeup
- Coverage for 15 hours
- Lightweight and easy to apply
- Natural coverage
- Lasts even through hot weather
- Doesn’t dry your skin
- Over 60 shades
- SPF 10
- It tends to dry quickly during the application.
10. Yves Saint Laurent SPF 19 Le Teint Touche Eclat Illuminating Foundation
- Gives the skin a bit of glow
- SPF 19
- Great coverage
- Softens the features
- Contains Vitamin E
- 8 hours lasting application
- 30 shades
- Blends in easily
- Can dry the skin
11. Yves Saint Laurent Fusion Ink Broad Spectrum SPF 18 Foundation
- Coverage up to 24 hours
- Suitable for oily skin
- 17 shades
- SPF 18
- Not the best for dry and very dry skin
12. Clarins Extra-Firming Foundation SPF 15
- SPF 15
- Contains oat sugars
- Suitable for sensitive skin
- Good coverage
- Smoothing action
- Non- comedogenic
- Contains anti-aging ingredients
- 5 shades
- Not the best for more mature skin
13. Laura Mercier Silk Creme Oil Free Photo Edition Foundation
- Works well for sensitive skin
- Offers good coverage
- Oil-free formula
- Designed with the idea to offer coverage for photo sessions
- Smoothing effect on the skin
- Easy blending
- 16 shades
- It is a bit runny
14. MAC Pro Longwear Nourishing Waterproof Foundation
- Hydrating action
- 15 hours wear
- 22 shades
- Oil control action
- Suitable for photography
- Can be itchy on sensitive skin
All these products have the benefit of a long-wear factor. Some of them were designed with photography sessions in mind making them good contenders to become your chosen product.
Comparing our findings with reviews from other users, we recommend Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Makeup.
With over 500 reviews on the Amazon website and a staggering over 1500 on their website, this foundation is at the moment number 1 foundation in the UK and trending worldwide. Having over 60 shades it is the best foundation to cover a wide range of skin shades, from the lightest tone to the darker tones, to compliment the beautiful darker skin.
It performed extremely well during our trial period, in rainy weather and under direct sunlight. It offers natural, good coverage and is suitable for sensitive skin. It is a foundation that is easy to wear and easy to clean at the end of the day.